Kids can create a flowered heart collage using simple art materials. This holiday themed project can be displayed in the family home or given as a very special Valentine’s Day greeting card.
Valentine’s Day Flowers
Giving flowers as a symbol of love or friendship is a Valentine’s Day custom that dates back many centuries. Roses (among other types of flowers) are a traditional holiday favorite. This art activity encourages children to craft hand made tissue paper flowers that can then be collaged onto a heart shaped symbol.
Materials Needed to Create Valentine’s Day Heart Craft
Parents can help children to gather these simple art materials. Choose holiday colors such as red, pink, purple, or white or try a rainbow of vibrant hues. Materials needed include:
- Construction paper
- Tissue paper
- Clear drying non-toxic glue
- Children’s scissors
- Marker or pencil
Steps to Create Valentine’s Holiday Flower Art
This activity provides parents with an excellent opportunity to teach children about concepts such as the Valentine’s Day holiday, shapes, colors, and textures. Very young children may not know words such as texture mean. Make sure to explain any new vocabulary that is used.
After all of the needed materials have been gathered (and a suitable, washable workspace has been prepared) begin the craft activity. Valentine’s Day is a time to express love and kindness. In the spirit of the holiday, make this project an activity to do together as a family.
- Fold a piece of construction paper in half. Red, pink, or purple colors will tie in nicely with the Valentine’s Day theme.
- Ask the child to draw half of a heart shape on the folded paper. The fold will become the middle of the heart. Younger children may need more adult assistance. Parents can draw the half heart with pencil, and then have the child trace over it with marker.
- Keeping the paper folded, the child can cut the heart out along the line.
- Open to reveal a whole heart.
- Cut small squares of tissue paper. These will be flowers. The larger the square is, the larger and puffier the flowers will be.
- Place glue (section by section) onto the cut out paper heart.
- Crumble the tissue paper squares one at a time and glue on. Repeat until the heart is covered.
- Set aside to dry.
Using tissue paper and glue, kids can collage unique Valentine’s Day flowers onto a construction paper heart. This activity is filled with fun and holiday symbolism. Make sure that the family works together to create a project in honor of this love filled holiday!