This is such a fun food craft to make with your children to give as gifts to parents and grandparents. It helps them show their love by making something with their own hands.
You will need:
- Colored Sugars
- Wooden skewers
- Heart shaped cookie cutters or heart cut out of sturdy paper for a template to lay on dough and cut around
- Glass jar
- Filler for jar such as candy conversation hearts, red hots candy, chocolate kisses,etc or a mixture of candies
- Floral foam or any foam you have around the house that can be cut down to fit inside the jar
You may already have a favorite cookie recipe or you can even use the refrigerated kind at the grocery store, if not, this one is a very good sugar cookie recipe.
Sugar Cookie Recipe
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degree.
- Cream shortening and sugar together
- Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Stir in flour to make your dough.
- Roll on a floured surface to about ½ inch and
- Use your cookie cutters to cut out the heart shapes. If you have no heart shaped cutter you can use a cardboard template by laying it on top of the dough and use a knife to cut around it.
- Push your wooden skewers all the way into the cookie but make sure not to go through to the other end. Make sure the cookie isn’t too big for the skewer to hold it up or it will fall apart.
- You will not be able to get many skewered heart cookies on the cookie sheet at once so you will have to bake several batches.
- Bake about 8 – 10 minutes.
- Let them completely cool before even attempting to remove them from the pan.
When completely cool you can decorate them with homemade icing using the recipe below and colored sugars or sprinkles or you can use store bought icing and spread thinly over the cookies and still decorate them with the sugars and sprinkles.
Homemade Cookie Icing Recipe
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoon milk
- 2 teaspoon corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix sugar and milk until smooth.
- Add corn syrup and vanilla and mix until it is stiff.
- If you need to thin it add more milk and if it is too thin you can add more sugar.
- You can also tint with a small amount of food coloring to achieve your desired color.
- Then spread on cookies and ad sprinkles and colored sugars and let the cookie dry.
How to Arrange the Cookie Bouquet
Take the clear glass jar and put the foam into it and then add your filler candy around it and on the top of it. Make sure the foam is covered completely. Then begin pushing your skewered cookies into the foam until you get the amount of cookies and the look you want. Using the ribbon you can tie it in a bow around the jar.