There’s an old saying: “The way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.” In reality, however, not only males enjoy good food but also females, so if a man likes to cook, and many men do, he can bake these tempting desserts just as easily as any woman. The kitchen, after all, is no longer considered “a woman’s domain;” it now belongs to anyone and everyone—as long as he or she enjoys pleasing the taste buds of friends and lovers.
Quick Dessert Recipe for Romantic Valentine Cake
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 egg whites
- 18 maraschino cherries, well drained and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 container prepared whipped vanilla frosting
- Additional cherries for garnish, sliced in half
- 2 heart-shaped baking pans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease and flour pans.
- Separate yolks and whites of eggs.
- Discard yolks and set aside whites.
- Mix cake mix with water, decreasing the called-for amount by 1/4 cup.
- Add cherry juice.
- Add egg whites.
- Add flavoring extracts.
- Beat with mixer on low speed for 2 minutes.
- Blend in cherries and nuts.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool before frosting.
- Frost and garnish with sliced cherries.
Valentine’s Day Recipe for Meringue Hearts with Strawberry Ice Cream
- 3 egg whites
- Dash of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 gallon strawberry ice cream
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Line cookie sheet with aluminum foil.
- Place egg whites in deep bowl.
- Add salt, vinegar, and vanilla.
- Beat on high speed until peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar until peaks are very stiff.
- Create 6 mounds of egg whites on cookie sheet.
- Using the back of a teaspoon, shape each mound into a heart-shaped shell.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from aluminum foil immediately.
- Cool completely.
- Before serving, fill each heart-shaped shell with ice cream.
Easy Dessert Recipe for Cherry Bavarian Valentine
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 jar maraschino cherries
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 and 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream, whipped (or substitute prepared whipped cream)
- Red food coloring (optional)
- Heart-shaped mold (10-cup)
- Additional cherries for decorating
- Separate cherries from juice, setting aside cherries for later use.
- Add enough water to cherry juice to create 3/4 cup of syrup
- Mix cherry syrup with gelatin, ginger, and salt in top of double boiler.
- Stir in egg yolks and milk, blending thoroughly.
- Cook over boiling water until gelatin dissolves and mixture thickens slightly.
- Remove from heat.
- Chill until mixture mounds on a spoon.
- Chop cherries.
- Add cherries to mixture.
- Add a few drops of red food coloring, if desired.
- Set aside cherry mixture.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Add sugar to egg whites and continuing beating until peaks are very stiff.
- Fold cherry mixture into stiff egg whites.
- Fold in 1 and 1/4 cup of the whipped cream (save remaining 3/4 cups for decoration).
- Place mixture in heart-shaped mold.
- Chill overnight or at least 4 hours.
- Turn dessert out of mold onto serving plate.
- Using star tube of cake decorator, squeeze remaining whipped cream onto cake to create lace fluting around the edges.
- Use saved cherries to outline immediately inside lace fluting.